Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

January 15, 2020 at 6:06 am

I think Jesus kills the self-help approach with today’s “first word, last word, God’s Word” Text. “You are already clean because of the Word I have spoken to you” (John15:3). I have always struggled with this idea that I can’t help myself. It is antithetical to how I was raised and my personal work ethic. I am responsible for my actions and I need to exercise more self-control. Is not self control an element of the “Fruit of the Spirit?” So what is this text saying? It says I am already clean, so I am waisting my time trying to clean up or control my act. Does this also mean that I am already pruned? Maybe, but what it definitely says is that God is the Gardner and He does the pruning, not me or you, not even Jesus. So what’s our role in all this? The Word/Text says, “remain in me.” So what does that mean? As hard as it is for me, it means surrender, trust and obedience. It means, I can’t help myself, I can’t prune myself and I can’t fix myself. All I can do is stay connected to the vine. Lord let it be so with me!