Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

January 20, 2020 at 6:32 am

As a former County Agent and part time farmer, the analogy of weeds in the garden of our souls definitely resonates with me. Weeds (sin) are inevitable. They are part of the curse we inherited from Adam and Eve. If we allow them to stay and grow they will literally suck the life out of us and we will not be fruitful. The same could be said for insects (toxic relationships), but that is a discussion for another day. The real question is how do we get rid of them. Do we pull them up as soon as they appear? That seems to me to be a self-help approach and an after the fact remedy. The Text suggests that we “humbly accept the Word planted in us…” The analogy that comes to my agricultural mind is treating the soil with a pre-emergent herbicide (weed killer). If we cultivate the garden of our soul with a sin killer (The Word of God) it will reduce the number of weeds in our life. Unfortunately, weeds/sins can still pop up, but the remedy is the same. We apply the Word of God as a post-emergent herbicide. We confess our sins (1John 1:1-9). This all assumes that we know our herbicides and that we apply them properly. This is why reading, ruminating, remembering, researching, and rehearsing the Word daily is so important. Lord may it be so with me.