Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

January 28, 2020 at 6:06 am

JD says, “The words of God in Scripture, as in every-single-word, are the Word of God. Scripture does not contain God’s Word. Scripture is God’s Word, full stop, period.” That would seem to contradict what I said yesterday. A non-negotiable tenet of the Protestant Reformation is Sola Scripture, scripture alone. Sola Scripture means that Scripture alone is authoritative for the faith and practice of Christians. The Bible is complete, authoritative, and true. “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness” (2 Timothy 3:16). This is what I would call a literalist point of view and for the most part I take the Bible literally. The Bible says it, I believe it, and that is that. I don’t have to like it or agree with it. As John David says, “We do not sit in judgment over the Word of God. The Word of God sits in judgment over us.” It is not our task to bend the words of God, the scriptures, to our beliefs or culture. We should bend our beliefs, world view, to the scriptures. A potential problem with the literalist point of view is which translation of the Bible is the literal God breathed Word of God. For my orthodox Baptist Brothers and Sisters, it is the King James Version of the Bible, period end of story. Well maybe so, but the words of God recorded by the forty or so men who wrote the Bible over some 1500 years did not record God’s words in the King’s English. Therefore, it is important to choose a translation that is as close as possible to the original Greek translation of the Aramaic and Hebrew writings that most of our English translations are based on. This is also why I say that the words of the Bible have to be Spiritually discerned and applied. Having said all of this, assuming you have read this far, I agree with JD, Scripture is God’s Word literally. Any other point of view is a slippery slope and humanism. Lord help me to apply the perfect intent of your words and the whole Word of God in my life.