Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

February 25, 2020 at 6:30 am

Well I am glad he spoke to the contradiction in the King James poetic funeral translation and the NIV that he is using. I caught this distinction after I had posted my reflection yesterday. I researched it with a parallel Bible and He is correct that the closest translation to the original Hebrew and Aramaic is “I lack nothing” not “I want not.” As he points out, the poetry of the traditional King James Version can sometimes “get in the way of the point.” No offense to my Baptist brothers and sisters 😊. As far as the shift from “help me faith” to “have me faith,” I have a slightly different take on the text. The reason I lack nothing is not because of me, but because of Him. He makes me; He leads me; He refreshes me; and I would add He guides me. For me, the transition to have me faith is a matter of identity. I am the sheep, He is the good Shepherd. As a former County Agent, I can tell you domesticated Sheep left on their own will not survive. They will literally stand out in the rain and drown. As sheep we don’t know what is best for us, but the Shepherd does. Have me faith for me means that I know the Shepherd’s voice, and I do what He says, and I go where He leads me, and because He is my Shepherd and I obey Him I lack nothing. Disobedient sheep do so at there own peril.