Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

March 3, 2020 at 6:32 am

This is a very timely reflection. Those who fear God more than people and those who believe that the Word of God is the only truth, authoritative, good for reproof, and teaching in righteousness are living in a time of great division and confusion; “a day when things long settled are undone; when eternal verities (beliefs and values) are discarded with the stroke of a pen. It will undoubtedly be followed by an age of great darkness and brokenness. Those who sow into the wind reap the whirlwind.” The question is before us, “How might we resist the spirit of the age, not with our anger and outrage, but in the power of the Holy Spirit with humility and courage?“ I really don’t have the answer other than I know anger and outrage does not work. Every time, I try to discuss issues like abortion with people, even “Christians,” who support discarding the eternal truths of God’s Word it ends badly. What should our civil, non violent disobedience look like? I take note that the midwives did not try to change Pharaoh’s mind or his commandment. They even made up a story to cover their disobedience, “Hebrew women are not like Egyptian women; they are vigorous and give birth before the midwives arrive.” I am beginning to believe that this is a spiritual battle that I can’t fight. As JD is suggesting in his prayer, “I renounce the spirit of the age and I stand on the Word of God. Transform my anger at all the confusion around us into a holy lament. And transform my malcontent with the problems around me into a holy discontent with the problems within me. My hope is not in political leaders, though I pray for them. My hope is in Jesus Christ and his coming Kingdom. Today, I sow for a great awakening. Come Holy Spirit, and train me to be such a person of faith.” Our response is to trust and obey; to sow for the “Awakening” by making disciples of all people and nations; and to leave the outcome up to God!