Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

May 16, 2020 at 7:30 am

I have certainly struggled with low self esteem, which I believe is the root cause of shame and pride, and the inability to take responsibility for our actions. I have known and know many people who are held in bondage to this condition. Growing up, I learned that self worth was directly proportional to your performance and your appearance. I was a shy self conscious, red headed, freckle faced, chubby kid that was not very good at sports or academics. I was never part of the in crowd or one of the cool kids. This caused me to become a very defensive and miserable person. My high school experience was horrible and I became an angry loner. In college, a military school, I hid my lack of self worth by excelling in discipline, duty, structure and routine. I was good at that. Then I met my first love. She looked past my outward appearance and behavior and saw something I could not see, a child of God, a person of worth. She loved me like no one ever loved me before and that Godly love led me to Him and the rest of the story is history as they say. I still struggle with low self esteem, but I have learned my performance is not tied to my worth with God. I have also learned the power of honesty, transparency and confession. These are the keys to overcoming bondage to self righteousness, shame, and pride. It is not about me and if I confess my short comings He is faithful to cleanse me of all unrighteousness and make me into the person He desires me to be. I pray that if you struggle with low self worth that my story will help you. If He can do it for me, He will do it for you!