Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

May 24, 2020 at 6:47 am

This is a text that goes against our desire for a happy ending. As I read, I was waiting for God to intervene and remove the darkness, but it ends with “Darkness is my closest friend.” That’s not what I wanted to hear, but maybe that is what I needed to hear. We have been programmed to believe that there should always be a happy ending, but reality teaches us that’s not the case. Sometimes your love one dies; sometimes the relationship is broken beyond reconciliation; sometimes you don’t get the ———just fill in the blank. So how can darkness be my closest friend? First, as the commentary points out this Psalm is associated with the passion of Christ, because of His dark nights of the soul and resurrection on the third day, we have assurance of a Happy ending. Psalm 30 speaks of this hope, “For His anger is but for a moment, His favor is for a lifetime; Weeping may last for the night, But a shout of joy comes in the morning” (v. 5). But I believe their is more to it than that. It is not just about the happy outcome, it is about what we can learn and gain from the despair that makes darkness my closest friend. I am the closest to Him in these dark nights and I hear from Him most clearly, if I don’t let the pain of the night distract me. If your in a pit of despair or sorrow, first stop digging and look for God. He will find you in the darkness.