Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

June 3, 2020 at 7:24 am

In our context, the divisions among Christians are marked primarily by all the different denominations we follow. I am a Methodist, I am a Baptist, and on and on. Lately, it has become I am a progressive or I am a conservative evangelical. I am not sure where JD is going with his reflection, but what I take away from today’s text is “I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought.” We fall woefully short of that appeal. This lack of unity is killing our ability to preach/share the Gospel of the Cross. Some call for compromise or common ground as an answer to our arrogance. I believe we need to humbly return to the sovereignty and centrality of Jesus, the name above all names, but we can’t even agree on that. Some of us want to just focus on the love of Christ and others want to just focus on the truth of Christ. As I have said many times before, it is not either or, it is both. Bottom line for me and my household, we will follow Jesus Christ, His ways, and His thoughts as revealed in the scriptures as best we can, no compromises, no common ground. Lord let it be so with me!