Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

July 1, 2020 at 6:31 am

“is not about you” is one of the best known quotes from Rick Warren’s best selling book, The Purpose Driven Life. If you have not read this book, I highly recommend that you do so. Understanding, accepting and practicing this principle is one of the hardest and clearest indicators of spiritual maturity. If we all practiced this principle, we would have no dissension or division in the Body of Christ. You would not hear Christ Followers saying this is my church and I don’t want to change this or that and do whatever is necessary to reach unbelievers for a Christ. It’s not about us, it is about Him, His purpose and them. A spiritually mature Christ Follower is willing to set aside their rights and themselves for the sake of Christ and others. However, as JD says, this does not mean we become a door mat for whatever others want. It is not all about them either. The analogy of a doorway is very appropriate for the application of this principle. We are to consider others as more important and we are admonished to put their interests ahead of our own (Philippians 2:3-4), but not ahead of God and the interests of Christ. We are a doorway, which implies there are boundaries. Considering the rights and interests of others does not mean catering or yielding yourself to anything they want. If the rights and interest of others are contrary to the laws of God and the purposes of Christ then we are to stand up and say so, which Paul did with regularity. Having said this, there is a fine line between asserting yourself for the sake of Christ and the Gospel, and arrogance and self righteousness. The best way to walk this fine line is to listen to the Holy Spirit and do only what He tells you to do, and to give other mature believers who know you well permission to hold you accountable. Lord let it be so with me!