Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

July 8, 2020 at 6:14 am

I think JD’s analogy may be a bit of an exaggeration, but his point is still valid. We can’t worship a poor homeless man on Sunday and then go out and ignore the poor on Monday. That does make our worship a bit smelly. This text is actually a continuation of Paul’s instruction on order in the church and in this case the practice of the Lord’s Supper, what we call communion. He first condemns divisions and factions in the church and then he speaks of taking communion in an unworthy manner. He then instructs us to examine ourselves before celebrating the Lord’s Supper. This is the point where we think of others and the poor, and this is the point where JD’s questions become valid concerns. We should not celebrate communion without confessing our short comings and asking for forgiveness. We should not participate in the Lord’s Supper without remembering Christ’s sacrifice and His commands to love one another as He loves us. This is why worship is presenting ourselves as living sacrifices for the sake of others and that is more than a tailgate party.