Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

July 18, 2020 at 5:58 am

Today’s text and JD’s reflection is so rich in understanding and application, I don’t know where to focus my remarks. His admonition to see the big picture is wise counsel for reading the Bible and for interpretation and application. His definition of the purpose of the church challenges conventional approaches, “The purpose of the church is to manifest the palpable reality of the embodied presence of God on earth and this for the sake of blessing all of creation.” God chose Israel and He established the church not for us, but to bless others. Compare that purpose statement to where we spend our time and money in the church today. Then there is the statement that, “Paul’s effort is not to bridle sin. It is to unleash love.” Our task is not sin management or even the eradication of sin (missing the mark of love) it is to unleash and release the power of God’s love in the world and He will defeat and eradicate sin not only in our lives, but in the lives of others. Finally, there is the claim that, “the strength of your relationship with God will never exceed the love in your relationships with others.“ I actually think it should be reversed, the love in your relationships with others will never exceed the strength of you relationship with God. The focus is our personal, intimate relationship with God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) not on sin management, building churches, singing or preaching. That’s the big picture in my opinion. Lord let it be so with me!