Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

July 29, 2020 at 6:34 am

The first thing you will notice, if you are reading today’s Daily Text this morning, is that the title is different, but the text and reflection is the same as yesterday. This happens from time to time and they usually will correct it during the day. There is an email version that goes out each day about 5:00am. It is correct and you can access it and sign up to receive it at http://www.seedbed.com/daily-text-subscribe. You can read or listen to the daily text, but you can’t discuss it without using the app, which is what I am doing this morning. The other advantage of having the email version is that you can forward it to others.

The first step on the path to the second half of the Gospel is Holy Discontent. This is when you realize that there is more to the Gospel than salvation, going to church, and doing church work. You become dissatisfied with yourself and the status quo. You realize that something more is needed and you began to search for that next step, which I Hope JD will get to tomorrow. In his reflection today, JD gives us several “if then” comparisons for the first and second half of the gospel. If the first half is believing, then the second half is becoming. He then challenged us to come up with our own comparisons. I chose, if the first half of the Gospel is restoration, then the second half is reformation. In the first five stops we are justified, forgiven and saved from sin. Our relationship with God is restored and we are adopted into the family of God and the Body of Christ (the Church). In the second half of the Gospel beginning with Holy Discontent we are reformed/remade into a new person. The problem with stopping or getting stuck in the first half is that we never grow up in Christ. We act like infants or children at best. We can’t feed ourselves and we are not potty trained. We are given a new life and new clothes, but we never put them on. We talk the talk, but we don’t walk the walk. This is why in discipling others, we love them where they are, but we love them too much to leave them there. We create environments where they can become discontent with where they are. We ask them, what is the next step for you in being reformed and for becoming more like Christ for the sake of others?