Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

August 16, 2020 at 6:31 am

Michelle thanks for sharing your thoughts on salvation and faith. My experience is different, I was a grown man and married with two little boys when I surrendered my life to Jesus. I remember the place and day as if it were yesterday. I remember crying as I knelt at the alter and was baptized with my boys kneeling beside me. My life changed dramatically and it is still evolving. I am not where I need to be, but I am closer than I was.

I believe today’s text and the verses that follow hold a clue as to how we can know we are saved. Jesus said, you must be born again to enter the Kingdom of God. I believe we are born again when we have a “true” saving experience with Jesus even if you can’t remember all the details. The evidence of that experience is the fruit of the Spirit and a change of heart towards God and others. Without being born again spiritually we can not have a relationship with Christ. We can know about Him, but we can’t become like Him because He is both Spirit and flesh and we are born first as flesh dead in our trespasses. Only when we are born twice can we become like Him as both flesh and spirit. It is His spirit living in us that causes us to grow in faith, trust and obedience. That’s the only way we can move from junior high faith to the faith of our forefathers that we read about in Hebrews. My question and quiet desperation is why there are so few born again believers that reach this level of faith, trust and obedience? I believe we get distracted or stuck in an arrested state of spiritual growth because we don’t practice the spiritual disciplines.