Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

August 21, 2020 at 6:44 am

Hillary Clinton famously declared all Trump supporters and “Walmart” people as deplorables. In our affluent western culture, Samaritans are what my Sociology Professor in college called the great “unwashed masses.” They are the poor, uneducated and socially unacceptable in our society that serve the wealthy ruling elite. For the most part we are segregated from these people and we don’t see them and when we do we usually look on them with disgust or pity. That is definitely not how God sees them and if you are a Christ Follower you can’t see them this way either.

My struggle is that I feel there is a difference in the deplorable. It’s one thing to be poor, uneducated, marginalized and underemployed. It is quite another thing to be shiftless, lazy, dishonest, wicked, a drunkard, and a person engaged in debauchery and licentiousness. I don’t think God condones these people or their behavior and I am fairly certain He tells us not to associate with them. However, they are children of God and lost sinners. I think we have to pray for discernment to know who, when and how to reach out to the deplorables. I have a special place in my heart for the working poor, the widow, the orphan, and the stranger/marginalized among us and I try to get to know these people and to help them all I can, but I do not associate or feel sorry for the unrepentant wicked people in our society. Lord help me if I am wrong.