Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

August 24, 2020 at 5:42 am

If you are paying attention, you will notice that the App version of today’s Daily Text on Fasting, has the wrong text and reflection, that is unless they have corrected it before you read it. This is another reason that it is a good idea to subscribe to the email version in addition to using the App. You can do that at https://www.seedbed.com/daily-text/.

As far as Fasting is concerned, we do struggle with this ancient Spiritual Discipline. Mainly because food and eating has become a priority that takes precedence over almost everything else we do. A major industry has been developed around this essential, but not important practice. It has also become a major social construct in our lives. Where ever two or more of us are gathered there will be food. Now like most everything else in our daily life, there is nothing inherently wrong with this practice if it is done in proper proportion and relationship to other practices.

I have long thought of Fasting as a form of self-denial, which it is, and that can be an appropriate motivation for fasting from food or anything else that we put before our relationship with God. Lately, I have viewed Fasting more as something we do instead of eating, like reading scripture or praying. Today’s Text suggests a third viewpoint. My food, Jesus said, “Is to do the will of Him who sent me, and to finish His work.” I wonder what would happen if we spent even half as much time doing the will of God and finishing His work as we do on eating, planning and preparing for our next meal. Lord let it be so with me!