Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

September 8, 2020 at 6:26 am

This verse and the teaching of the Catholic Church on transubstantiation is a stumbling block for many when it comes to taking Holy Communion. This is also why I believe you can’t always take the words in the Bible literally. Jesus was trying to make a point by saying this, He did not mean that we had to literally eat His flesh and drink His blood. The answer to what He means is in Verse 63, which is what JD is probably going to use in tomorrow’s text. Jesus explains, “It is the Spirit that gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are Spirit and life“ (NASB). To eat Jesus’ flesh and drink His blood is to receive (ingest) His Spirit and His words. He is Spirit and He is the living word. It is another way of saying you must be born again in order to enter His Kingdom and receive eternal spiritual life. You must believe in and accept Him and His words not His flesh and blood. What we do when we take Communion is to remember that His flesh was broken for us and His blood was shed for us on the Cross so that we might have forgiveness and life eternal.