Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

September 16, 2020 at 7:09 am

This is definitely a popular teaching. I doubt anyone reading this has never heard a sermon on sin using this text. Depending on the theological perspective of the teacher they will either emphasize no condemnation, go and sin no more, or both. I believe the whole counsel of scripture suggests that Jesus’s emphasis was on no condemnation. Paul supports this viewpoint in Romans 8:1, “Therefore there is now no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus.” The fact is we are all guilty; there is no one without sin; and we all fall short. Our guilt and our judgment has been dealt with once and for all on the Cross. Those who are in Christ Jesus are pardoned, those who do not believe in Him are not pardoned and they remain guilty (John 3:17-18).

Shame is another matter. In my view, shame is the result of unconfessed sin or trying to hide or blame others for our sin, “it was the women that gave me the apple to eat.” If we confess our sins, we are not only forgiven we are cleansed from All unrighteousness (1 John 1:8-10). The admonition to go and sin no more is not some moralistic jab, it is an invitation to a life without sin. Confessing our sins to God is the access to His power over sin that was won on the Cross. I believe we can live a life without guilt or shame.

Now before some of you say I am soft on sin or crime, let me say that what we can’t escape are the consequences of sin or crime. You can be pardoned of guilt and you can be cleansed of shame, but the consequences remain. God instituted governments to provide for civil law and order. If you break the law, you will be punished or at least that was the case until recently, but I won’t go down that road here. God is a God of love and forgiveness, but He is also a God of justice and judgment. If you live outside of God’s commandments and His Will there will be consequences.

Finally, I believe Jesus was either just doodling in the sand for effect or He was writing, “It is Finished!”