Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

September 19, 2020 at 6:33 am

Today’s Text builds on yesterday’s text. To become like Jesus is to become like the Father. We worship a triune God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) that is one and we were created by them and for them to be one with them. To see and know one is to know them all and to see and know us should be to know them.

That leads us to the question of how the Church is different from the United Way, and I would add how are we different from the Rotary or Kiwanis Club. This is an important question. Both entities are community organizations with members and both provide fellowship, teaching, and both do good works in the community. In my experience, many churches are pretty much the same as these organizations. They are primarily focused on providing religious goods and services to their members and they do good works in the community. Unfortunately, in some cases, the civic organizations in a community provide most of the community services to the general public. Churches remain focused primarily on their members. Most all will deny this, but if you look at their budgets and how they use their time and resources this is generally the case.

The Church is intended to be a very different entity. We are supposed to be a living embodiment of Jesus Christ in the community, an organism not an organization. Our primary purpose is not to provide programs and activities for religious consumers nor is it to do good works in the community. Our purpose is to make Disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the community and the world we live in. The good works flow out of the disciples because of their love for God and others. The role of the church as a community of Disciples, ministers of God’s reconciliation and ambassadors for Christ, is to equip and deploy. The role of Disciples of Jesus Christ in the community is to be salt and light; to act justly; to love mercy and kindness; to walk humbly with their God; and to reflect Jesus in order to make more Disciples. The Church is a movement, a mobilization of Disciples of Jesus Christ not a civic organization. Lord let it be so!