Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

October 11, 2020 at 6:27 am

In this reading and JD’s reflection, I am struck by the idea that we don’t give our life to others, we give our life to Jesus and then He gives to others through us way more that what we can give. This is the great paradox of the Gospel. We die in order to give more abundantly. We surrender in order to be free and blessed far more than we can imagine.

The key is surrender. What does that look like? Does it mean, we sell all we have and give it to the poor? Does it mean we give up our life and become a missionary? I don’t believe that’s what Jesus is saying. He says, “whoever serves me follows me.” We surrender our lives to Him and we follow Him. That may result in selling all you have or leaving your job and your home to be a missionary in downtown New York or it may be just being like Jesus for the sake of others right where you are.

The surrender is to Jesus, so what does that look like? Jesus says, “anyone who loves me will obey me” (John 14:21-23). So surrendering to Jesus means loving Him and then obeying Him, so what does that look like. Obeying Him means following His commandments. He says, “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you“ (John 13:34-35). So this whole thing is not really about dying or giving up anything, it is about loving Jesus and loving others. Could it actually be that simple?