Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

October 13, 2020 at 6:31 am

Mark, please say more about what jumped out at you about yesterday’s reading and reflection.

As far as today’s reading, I have never thought of a hard hearted person as broken-hearted. I have always viewed them as stubborn and stiff necked, but I can see how a broken heart contributes to their hard heartedness. They have been wronged or hurt by others and they harden themselves to prevent it from happening again. This can also lead to a victim mentality. It is always somebody else’s fault that they are the way they are. They refuse to take responsibility for their condition and their situation.

I agree that there is not much you can do for them except love them anyhow and wait for a teachable moment. It usually takes a crisis or another heart breaking experience for them to realize their condition and take responsibility for it. However, in loving them, I think we have to be careful not to let them play the victim card in order to justify their hard heartedness. We have to speak truth to them and help them see that they have to love others like they never been hurt and forgive others as they have been forgiven.