Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

October 15, 2020 at 5:57 am

I believe John provided details to emphasize the humility of Christ in performing this simple, but profound act of love for His Disciples. This was definitely not a duty-bound act of service. Christ was the Son of God, yet He chose to perform this lowest of menial acts before He fulfilled the greatest act of love a person can do, to die for others. It was not His place to do it, but He did it out of love and to set an example for us.

Duty-bound service is something we feel is expected of us and is something we feel obligated to do because of who we are. Love-empowered service is not expected and has nothing to do with us or obligation. It is what we do for the sake of others. It is a small act of unexpected kindness that we do out of a profound love of others.

What holds me back is that I get distracted and caught up in the busyness of life. I am too focused on myself and too busy doing “important” stuff to perform a menial task or a small act of kindness for someone else. This can be especially true if we are positional leaders. It easy to think that this is not my responsibility. This is precisely why Jesus performed this act of love for His chosen successors. Lord let it be so with me!