Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

October 16, 2020 at 6:07 am

I am sorry JD, but I really don’t think that was Peter’s motive here. He was just being Peter and couldn’t not bear the thought of his Lord washing his dirty feet. When Jesus reframed this act of unmerited love, Peter wanted all he could get.

Having said that, JD’s questions are challenging. I really try not to distinguish myself from others. We are all equally worthy or should I say unworthy in the eyes of God. He shows no partiality, so there is no reason to try to distinguish yourself from others. Jesus teaches us to not think more highly of ourselves than we should. When I see someone who I think may not measure up to my standard, I say there but for the Grace of God go I. Bottomline, we all have stinky feet.

I know my core identity is in the unmerited love of God, but I sometimes I fall into the trap of thinking my performance or successes in life are somehow a measure of my worth. The world’s system of rewards strongly pushes us in this direction. Our Western Society is largely a meritocracy. I am first and foremost a follower of Jesus Christ, the Son of the one God. My only merit and my self worth flows from that relationship and my faithfulness. Lord help me to always remember that and to remain faithful to you so that I may be fruitful for the sake of others.