Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

October 19, 2020 at 5:57 am

I understand and practice loving others at the stage of for the sake others. I am striving to love others as Jesus loved or for God’s sake, but I am not there yet on a consistent basis. As far as on scale of 1-10, I would say I am a 8 or 9 depending on who you are, and that is precisely Jesus’s point.

Jesus loved everyone even the unloveable and was willing to lay down His life for them. I am just not there yet, but I am not alone. George Barna’s research has found that there are ten stops in spiritual growth. These are stages of development where we stop growing or become stuck. The last stop or stage in spiritual development is, you guessed it, a profound love of others. Fewer than one percent reach this point in their Christian life.

As far as why, for me it is selfishness and I have a hard time loving those that are very different from me. I can love my family and friends, but when it comes to great unwashed masses of people, I often stumble. I view them as rift raft or deplorable. I am working on that and God will often show me how wrong it is to judge a book by its cover, but this a definite growing point for me.