Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

October 21, 2020 at 6:27 am

I believe that we can do greater things if we believe in Jesus because Jesus said so. I believe that Jesus is the truth and the way, so I believe this what He says is true. The problem is I am not sure what greater things means. How do you top raising the dead? I don’t see a lot of that happening in the literal sense of the act.

I am also troubled by the greater love line of thought. If greater love is distinguished by “laying down one’s life for one’s friends,” I don’t see a lot of that actually happening in the literal sense of the word. So what are the greater things we will do if we believe in Jesus and that He is in the Father and the Father is in Him? I would really like to hear your answer to that question.

Maybe the answer is somehow related to taking this text too literally that causes us not to see the greater things Jesus is talking about. I have not witnessed greater love raising the dead literally, although I think it could happen. I have not witnessed many people actually dying for their friends, but I have witnessed the power of love and forgiveness to heal broken relationships and bring people back from the living dead. What do you think?

If greater love is actually being willing to forgive and love those who persecute you, betray you, let you down, and disappoint you or even kill your loved ones, then what holds us back? For me, it is disobedience. Forgiveness is a commandment not an option or a choice. When we show forbearance (long suffering), forgiveness and unconditional love for others, we demonstrate the greater love that leads to greater things. Lord let it be so with me!