Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

October 26, 2020 at 7:02 am

This is one of those moments when I know God is speaking to me. My “sacred pathway” is my mind. This does not mean that I am all that intelligent, which I am not, it means that God speaks to me through my love of reading and learning. As I have shared many times, my spiritual rhythm (discipline) is reading, reflecting, and recording. That is why I like reading and reflecting on the Daily Text. God’s speaks to me through His Word (scripture) and the books that I read to learn more about God and His Will (purpose) for us.

The way He speaks to me is through connecting the dots between what I read and what He wants me to learn, understand and teach to others. He will lead me to read something and then He will connect it to His word or some other reading. That is happening this week. I have been reading a book on The Fruit of the Spirit for a new study in our Home Church Group. I do not believe it is a coincidence that I am also reading in this Daily Text Reading Group John 15:1-11, Jesus is the vine and we are the branches; if we abide in Him we will produce much fruit. This is not by chance; this is by design; this is a God Moment.

In today’s daily text, John 15:5-6, we are dealing with the teaching that I commented on yesterday, the branches that bear no fruit. In my Home Church Group, we are reading about bearing the Fruit of the Spirit and the all important fruit of love. One of the questions we are discussing is directly related to this question of what happens to branches that bear no fruit and wether or not we will naturally bear fruit if we are in Christ. Hang in there with me it gets better.

In today’s text, JD references a book he has never read, The Secrets of the Vine. Guess what, I have read it and it holds the answer to the question in my Home Church Group and supports the assertion that I made yesterday. The Secrets of the Vine is by Bruce Wilkinson, the author of The Prayer of Jabez. This book is not about secrets or good to great life enhancement. It is about abundance, and “bearing much fruit.” It also corrects the false teaching that I addressed yesterday. If we are in Christ, we will produce fruit. If we abide in Him, He will restore us and prune us to produce abundant fruit. The dead branches are those not in Christ. If you are in Christ you have nothing to fear from this reading. Your charge and purpose is to abide in Christ and to reach out to those not in Christ in the spiritual fruit of love before they are gathered up and cast into the fire. We serve an amazing God!