Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

October 28, 2020 at 5:52 am

I really don’t see a “progression of maturity” in terms of our identity in this text. The progression is in terms of our surrender and obedience. When we believe and accept Jesus Christ as the Son of the one true God and our personal Lord and Savior we join the Holy Trinity in relationship. We are first and foremost a child of God and joint heirs with Christ who calls us brother/sister and His friend, and we are a servant of all. That’s our identity, three persons in one.

In my view, where the progression of maturity comes into play is with our love for Christ and others and our willingness to surrender our lives to Him and for the sake of others. “Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends (John 15:13, NKJV). Jesus repeatedly uses love and obedience to His command, to love one another as I have loved you, as the measure of our maturity. Understanding what it means to lay down our lives for others and then actually doing it is the challenge of growing up in Christ. Lord let it be so with me!