Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

November 1, 2020 at 6:03 am

When I read this text, I was first struck by the leaving and coming in “a little while.” I thought Jesus was referring to His going as the Son of God, and His returning after the resurrection and at Pentecost as God the Holy Spirit. Then I thought about His coming again at the end of the Age, which we have been waiting for a lot longer than a little while. What was it that the Disciples did not understand? I think they did not understand the coming of the Holy Spirit, the Age of The Church, and the expansion of the Gospel to all nations and all people. I think after 2000 plus years, we still struggle to understand that.

The threefold progression of Discipleship is helpful in that it helps us understand our new birth. When we are born spiritually, we are born as infants. As we grow spiritually to childhood, young adult hood and finally to adulthood, our relationship with God changes. Unfortunately, this spiritual progression is not automatic. We all know adults who behave like infants and spoiled children. They expect to be fed; they want what they want when they want it; and they don’t really care about anybody or anything but themselves.

Thank God, we have a helper and guide to help us move through these stages of faith and to grow up in Christ to become mature adults, friends and partners in ministry with Jesus. Discipleship and spiritual maturity is the work of the Holy Spirit, but it is not a solo journey. We need the help of others to mature. If you are not in a small group that prays for you; encourages you; shares with you and helps you understand the truth of God’s Word; and holds you accountable to becoming more like Christ, then that’s your next step. Have a blessed Sabbath!