Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

November 9, 2020 at 7:07 am

JD makes a very valid point in his reflection on today’s text. Many Christ Followers have too small a Gospel because that is all they have been taught. Dallas Willard, one of the great thought leaders of the contemporary church, said, the church has a gospel of conversion (salvation) rather than a Gospel of Discipleship. Salvation (belief and new birth) is essential, but it is not the main point of the Gospel, Discipleship is the rest of the story both before and after the passion of Christ, which actually occurred before the foundation of the world and before we knew Him.

This is what I love about Wesleyan Theology and the concept of progressive Grace. Prevenient Grace, God at work before we knew It; Saving or justifying Grace, we are saved by this Grace alone; and finally Sanctifying Grace (Discipleship), becoming more like Christ for the sake of others. Grace is not a single event, it is an ongoing act of God’s love than began before the foundation of the world and continues for all eternity. Thank God!