Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

November 11, 2020 at 7:08 am

I researched “method acting” and found that this type of acting is also contrasted with “character acting.” In Method Acting, “They will literally ‘become’ the character, living the part rather than using externalization and portrayal.” Our aim is not to portray, role play or even take on the character of Christ, it is to actually become Christ for the sake of others. This is a level of internalization that becomes who we actually are. I confess that I am not there yet.

The part of Paul’s “declaration of intent” that I struggle with the most is “becoming like Him in His death.” I think that is also the point where Peter struggled to the point of denying Christ three times. It is comforting to note that Christ did not denounce or condemn Peter and that Peter went on to fulfill his destiny as a Disciple.

I think we struggle with denying and dying to self because we have not fully “attained to the resurrection from the dead.” In the next few verses in Philippians, Paul explain that this is a declaration of intent not a current reality. “Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus (Philippians 3:12-14). I believe God looks at our hearts, our intent, and our forward movement and forgives our occasional denial. What do you think?