Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

November 21, 2020 at 6:06 am

I have always believed that Mary did not recognize Jesus because He was in His resurrected form. I still believe that was the case. As far as why it was Mary that first saw Him and not Peter, the practical explanation was that in that day women were responsible for tending to the dead. This does not take away from JD’s “glass ceiling” crusher analogy. The role of women and ordinary people in Jesus’s ministry on earth is undeniable and it was very counter cultural in that day, but that is not the point of this text in my view. The real ceiling crusher is Jesus. He levels the playing field for everybody and uses the ordinary and the nobody’s to do the extraordinary work of the Gospel.

The larger point for me, is that we don’t always recognize Jesus, at first glance. He does not always reveal himself to us in a conventional way. She thought He was the gardener and He is, but He is more than that. He is God and if we could see Him as He is, we could not comprehend or handle it, so He reveals Himself in other ways. I see Jesus in the deep blue sky, in the emerald green waters of the ocean, and the beauty of a sunset. I see Jesus in the love we have for one another and the least of those among us.

His resurrection was an event. His revelation is a progressive and unconventional process of awakening to what He has done for us and what His will is for us in the new life that begins with the empty tomb and ends with a crown of glory in Heaven with Him. Enjoy the journey!