Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

November 23, 2020 at 6:26 am

I can identify with Thomas because I was once a doubting Thomas. I can also understand why other doubting Thomas’s are more willing to believe another doubting Thomas as opposed to those who claim to have no doubts, but that is not the main point or purpose of this text in my view (sorry JD).

The verse that grabs me is, “Then Jesus told him, Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” The reality of today’s faith is that none of us get to be eye witnesses. We can’t literally put our hand into the holes in His hands or the gash in His side. We must believe without seeing and we will be blessed as a result of our faith and our public proclamation that Jesus is my Lord and my God not by belief based on hard evidence or proof, but belief based on faith in God’s Word and the testimony of the Holy Spirit that lives within us.

So what is the point of Thomas’s doubt? I think it is to let us know that it’s alright to have doubts and to encourage those of us who are mature in our faith to let others know that we too have doubts or questions. We do this for their sake. I recently heard a teaching that debunked the notion that people who have doubts have weak faith. The teacher pointed out that doubts lead to questions, that questions lead to searching, and that searching leads to answers and greater understanding, which leads to deeper faith. It is ok to have doubts as long as you seek the answers to your questions in the Word of God not in the court of public opinion. If you do, I promise you that your faith will grow and that you will be blessed for it. Your eyes will be opened without having to be an eye witness or have hard proof.

I heard another anointed teacher challenge the congregation to read the word daily, listen to what it is saying to you, and then apply that to your life. Read, Reflect, Respond that is what this group is all about. Be blessed read the Word!