Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

November 24, 2020 at 6:47 am

Well first, this is why I don’t like the NIV translation. They often depart from the Greek, which was the original translation from Hebrew and Aramaic. The NASB, which I prefer, uses the word children. Secondly, I know this chapter well and I usually focus on the fact that they had no fish. Jesus tells them to cast their nets on the right side, they catch a bunch of fish, 153 to be exact. Peter recognizes Jesus, strips off his clothes, jumps in and swims to shore. Then Jesus cooks breakfast for them. The focus is usually on the provision of Jesus if we follow His instructions. It will be interesting to see how JD treats these verses in the coming days.

The focus here is on His greeting, “children.” JD has reasoned that it is because they had regressed back to their normal state before they became Jesus’s Friends. They had fallen back asleep and into their old routine or put another way they had backslid. I can identify with this, the old normal (self) is a powerful force of gravity that can pull us back, but JD accurately points out that the gravity of Jesus is more powerful than the gravity of the world. Sometimes, I feel like I take one step forward and two steps backwards (the Christian Two Step), but I have learned that Jesus doesn’t really care about that and that His Grace is sufficient for my every need. He will pull me forward, if I let Him. The “Christian Two Step” is actually two steps forward and only one backwards. That tells me we will get there if we will stay awake and keep leaning forward. Lord may it be so with me!