Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

November 25, 2020 at 6:58 am

I am a fisherman, so I love fishing stories. I am also a planner, I always have an agenda and goals, so every time someone criticizes strategies and biblical frameworks I bristle. I firmly believe that you can be on the right track and still get run over, if you just sit there. When someone says my efforts are futile and I just need to give up all my plans and “risk everything on Jesus alone,” I want to know what that means and what that looks like.

JD says, we need to “trade in our love of results for love of people….and risk it all on loving those He came to save.” That is good advice and it helps us direct our efforts, but we still have a job to do and how we do it is important. I believe we have to do it His way, fish in the day and cast your net on the right side of the boat. There is a lot more to unpack in this line of thought, but I will leave it there for now and simply say that when y’all are standing around my grave, I hope you will say he was a passionate fisher of men and he did it Jesus’s way.

As far as “Holy Discontent” versus being “a frustrated malcontent with everyone and everything else” is concerned, I really have to guard against this, especially in this season we are in. My discontent, and I hope it is Holy, is with blind or anemic Christ Followers. They can’t see or choose to ignore what is unfolding right before their eyes and they have lost their saltiness. They no longer believe in the authority of God’s Word and they have adopted a form of faith that lacks all the power there of. My prayer is that I offer them love and truth, Jesus alone. He is the truth and the way and no one comes to the Father except through Him.