Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

November 30, 2020 at 5:55 am

Consecrate is a strong word that should not be taken lightly. It goes beyond commitment or my best effort. Consecrate means “to make or declare (something, typically a church) sacred; dedicate formally to a religious or divine purpose.” It usually involves the laying on of hands as in an ordination service or blessing as in blessing the elements before taking Holy Communion. It is sacred stuff for serious people. The beginning of the Christian New Year is an appropriate time to consecrate ourselves for God’s purposes.

As I ponder this and today’s text that tells us to, “throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles,” I wonder what it is that hinders me. JD invites us to courageously and humbly name it. For me, it is frustration and anger. I allow things that I can’t control to distract me from the race set before me, so my prayer for Advent is to keep my eyes focused on Jesus and His 2nd coming. To be sober and alert; to know and make Him known; and to boldly proclaim His Truth and His Lordship. What about you?