Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

December 7, 2020 at 6:02 am

How asleep is my soul and do I have any “snooze 😴 bar habits?” Well that depends on which habits you are referring to. The text says, “Let us then lay aside the works of darkness and put on the armor of light; let us live honorably as in the day, not in reveling and drunkenness, not in debauchery and licentiousness, not in quarreling and jealousy.” JD singles out drunkenness (bourbon and wine), but at Advent, I would focus on materialism, reveling, and gluttony. On a scale of 1-10 for all the works of darkness, I would rate myself fairly low, but not because of me.

The more important concept that JD highlights is not our habits, not what we put off, but what we put on. “Put on the armor of light…put on the Lord Jesus Christ.” What would that look like for us, especially during this season of Advent, but really every day? For me, it means reading His Words, reflecting on what they are saying to me, and then trying my best to do what He says. I have to put on the armor of light everyday before I go out or I get in trouble, and when I do get in trouble I have to acknowledge and confess it the next day (the spiritual discipline of examen). This does not make me perfect, but I shudder to think what I would be without it. If I hit the snooze bar and skip this time, I risk falling asleep again and each time I do it gets easier. Lord may I make no provision for the flesh and it’s desires and may I be found awake and alert when you return.