Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

December 10, 2020 at 6:41 am

First, I am struck by the fact that the Holy Spirit gave me this text yesterday as I reflected on Advent as a time of “Awakening” to the evil that surrounds us. When this happens, I sit up and pay attention because God is speaking.

What does it mean to prepare the way of the Lord and make His paths straight? If we “listen for a word beyond the voices of our time,” whose voice are we listening to? The obvious answer is God’s voice. In the case of this text, it is God speaking through John. What was he proclaiming? A baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sin. Who heard him? Those searching for something more than the current situation.

What is the current situation in the church and the world we live in? I think we can all agree that it is characterized by division and divisiveness. Never in my life have we been so polarized and more bitter towards anyone who disagrees with us. Political correctness has denigrated into identity politics, wokeness, and the cancel culture. The answer is the same as in John’s day, a voice beyond our time. The answer is repentance and we need to proclaim it to all those who will listen. Repentance is the only path to unity because the ground at the foot of the cross is level and all humanity is rendered the same.

So Advent is a time of anticipation. It is a time of awakening, and it is a time of repentance. Lord let it be so with me?