Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

December 11, 2020 at 4:28 am

Wow! Today’s text gets real personal. Count the coats; count the costs; we can’t just say we are Christ Followers in name only; we have to “bear fruits worthy of repentance” or the axe is ready to lop us off. This is seriously personal and frightening stuff John (the Baptist) is saying.

Our own John (David) correctly puts it into perspective and offers us a worthy application for Advent. Fruit worthy of repentance comes from a life of repentance, not from a donation to Goodwill or at this time of year the Salvation Army red kettle. Repentance is transformational not transactional.

As far as the challenge is concerned, I encourage you to go deeper than the symptoms and search for the root causes. Our outward behavior usually has a deeper seated cause. I could choose any one of the behaviors JD mentioned, but I want to look deeper and repent (turn from) the root cause of the behavior. The one I choose is short temper. Lord help me lay the axe to the root cause of my short temper in this New Year in Christ. Help me to become a more patient, gentler, and kinder person. What about you, are you willing to take both John’s challenges seriously?