Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

December 12, 2020 at 5:55 am

Today’s Text and reflection is a good follow up to yesterday’s message and Advent challenge. Repentance is more than turning from or stopping unproductive behaviors, it is turning to (sowing) fruitful behaviors. The Church has been guilty of focusing on only one aspect of repentance. This is indeed a better and more complete vision of repentance.

As I reflect on my Advent New Year’s Repentance given this better vision of repentance, I am pondering what I need to weed out (stop) and what I need to sow (start). What I want to stop is my short temper and angry outbursts. The fruit I desire is patience, gentleness, and kindness. The weeds I need to uproot are: are impatience, the desire to be in control, to get my way; and to be right. What I am not sure of is what I need to sow or start doing in order to achieve this goal.

In the past, I have tried to force myself to pause before speaking or reacting. I practice the 24 hour rule in decision making or written responses. These are good practices, but they have not produced the fruit I desire. As I sit and listen to God, I am reminded that repentance is transformational not transactional. Therefore, good practices are not enough. I need transformation and only the Holy Spirit can do that. The verse in today’s text that speaks to me is, “I am confident of this, that the one who began a good work among you will bring it to completion by the day of Jesus Christ.” I am not there, but I will get there if I remain in Christ. What I need to sow is Jesus. What about you, what are you asking Jesus to complete in you?