Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

December 14, 2020 at 5:54 am

Reciprocity is a product of the transactional world we live in. Our entire society is based on transactions and reciprocity, that is why it is hard for us to accept a true gift, one in which there is no expectation of reciprocity. A gift of abounding unmerited love (Grace). That’s the gift we all receive at Christmas from our Father in Heaven. The gift that begins with His birth, is appropriated with His death and resurrection, and culminates with His return.

I find the last verse in this passage instructive, “And may the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, just as we abound in love for you. And may he so strengthen your hearts in holiness that you may be blameless before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints.” We are incapable of abounding love, only God can make us increase and abound in love for one another, and only God can strengthen us in holiness. That is what enables us to give not as the world gives, but as God gives. My prayer for Advent is that we will allow God to motivate our giving of abounding love for one another. Lord let it be so with me!