Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

December 15, 2020 at 6:16 am

Can I say as Mary did that “My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked with favor on the lowliness of his servant?” What does it mean for my soul to magnify the Lord and for my Spirit to rejoice in God my Savior? I think it depends on your definition of Soul and Spirit.

I think of my Soul as being my mind, body, and will. I see my Spirit as the breath of God that gives my mind and body life (Genesis 2:7 Then the Lord God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being). My Spirit is the essence of me. It’s my Spirit that makes it possible for me to connect with and have a relationship with my Lord and Savior.

So now the question becomes does my mind, body, and will magnify God, and does my Spirit rejoice in relationship with Him? I must confess that my mind, body, and will does not always magnify or glorify God as He intended for me to do. However, I firmly believe that my Spirit is one with my Lord and Savior and I definitely rejoice in that relationship.