Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

December 16, 2020 at 6:05 am

God is Holy and we are to be holy as He is Holy (1 Peter 1:15-16). God is love (John 3:16 and 1 John 4:16) and we are to love others as He has loved us (John 13:34). Holiness and Love are two sides of the same coin just like Grace and Truth are two sides of the same coin, so yes I connect the two as a “singular reality.”

The impact this reality has on me is that you can’t have one without the other. Therefore, I must love as God loves and offer Grace as God does, but I must also be Holy and speak the Truth. These are the eternal horns of the dilemma of the Gospel. I think you are on dangerous ground when you diminish the importance of either one. Today’s Text makes it plain, “The unclean will not journey on it; wicked fools will not go about on it. No lion will be there, nor any ravenous beast; they will not be found there. But only the redeemed will walk there, and those the Lord has rescued will return.”

I hope that is not what JD is saying. What I think he is saying is that we can be so Holy and so set apart that we become holier than thou and so heavenly minded that we are of no earthly good. Our Holiness and our Love should be attractive, winsome, and infectious such that others will want what we have. Lord let it be so with me!