Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

December 20, 2020 at 5:41 am

This year more than any other in my memory there are many distractions, even more than the usual focus on Christmas lights and decorations, shopping and gift giving, family gatherings, and eating and drinking. There is a worldwide pandemic and the greatest political divide and turmoil in our county’s history. Here in Georgia, we have a run off election going on that is the focus of the world right now. The outcome of this election will literally change the direction of this country for many years to come, but none of this compares to the significance of the “reason for the season” wether you are a believer or not. Current events have and always will pale in comparison to Birth of Christ. No other single happening has or ever will surpass this event in creation in terms of its significance, so wake up and pay attention.

So, What will it take in this last week leading up to Christmas to shift your faculties of perception from distraction to attention? How might you begin beholding in a new way? For me, it is this spiritual discipline of getting up early and setting aside a time and place to focus on God and this event even in the midst of all the distractions. What’s the new thing He is saying to me at this moment in time and at this Christmas season that is like none other.

To be honest, I am not sure that He is saying anything that He has not already said. The invitation is for us to ask what’s the new thing I am going to do in response to what He has already done in the midst of all that is going on. That brings us back to the New Year challenge of this Advent series. What is the fruit you desire in your life that is “worthy of repentance?” As I shared before, for me it is patience. What is it for you?