Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

January 5, 2021 at 6:19 am

Two things jump out at me from this lesson about being led by Christ. First, Peter says, “if you say so I will do it.” The second is that, “spiritual practices are not enough. To be a disciple of Jesus Christ means to submit our small story to God’s larger story, to have our lives serve God’s purposes rather than our own.” Y’all know how big I am on spiritual discipline, but this lesson reminds me/us that being led by Jesus is more than spiritual practices or behavior modification. It is not that these are not important or that they don’t help, but they are not the main thing. The main thing is submitting to His purposes and doing what He says even though we are still flawed.

When I did the spiritual exercise, at first I thought I heard Jesus say clean up your act, but then I heard him say “feed my sheep” (John 21:15-17). That is how my little story is to fit into His big story and it’s how I am to serve Him and His purposes. Jesus did not chastise Peter for denying Him three times, He told him three times that if you love me, feed my sheep. When you sat down with Him, what did He say to you?