Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

January 6, 2021 at 5:33 am

Where are you, why are you there, and where do you want to go spiritually are two essential and profound questions for serious Christ Followers. In my experience, most Christians don’t ask these questions and they have an inflated idea of where they are. There are several spiritual growth assessment tools available to help you more accurately determine where you are spiritually. If you are interested in using one, let me know. The ten point scale the author mentioned is helpful, but not very specific. George Barna, a respected Christian researcher has published research that identifies ten stops on our spiritual journey to maturity (https://www.seedbed.com/wp-content/uploads/barna-chart.pdf). I find it very helpful, but troubling in regard to how few people make it past stop 5. You can also ask people who know you well to help you answer the question of where are you spiritually on these scales.

As far as the three process issues and the closing spiritual exercise are concerned, church work, programs and activities are no longer a major catalyst for my spiritual growth. This is not to say that these are bad or not necessary, but they can only take you so far on the journey. I experience accelerated spiritual growth from the daily practice of the spiritual disciplines and involvement in the communal aspect of the journey in the form of small groups, especially micro groups like Bands, Huddle Groups, etc. and Home Church groups. I am certainly not where I want to be and I look forward to unpacking with you the process issues and the obstacles to spiritual growth.