Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

January 9, 2021 at 6:31 am

Forgiveness is not optional. It is a requirement of all Christ Followers. We are commanded to forgive others even our enemies and those who hurt and persecute us. Forgiveness is also proportional. We will be forgiven and shown mercy by God in the same measure that we show mercy and forgive others. I don’t know about you, but I need a lot of mercy and forgiveness.

More than that, as the author suggests, we are to forgive as if we have never been hurt. Franklin Jentzen has written a helpful book on this topic, “Love them like you have never been hurt.” This is a hard teaching, but there is no way to get around it or to justify unforgivness. It is a major obstacle to spiritual growth.

As I ponder who I need to forgive, I realize that sometimes the one I need to forgive is myself. Self condemnation and judgment, and the inability to accept the forgiveness of God and others is also a barrier to spiritual transformation. Additionally, I have had to learn to forgive organizations like employers, the government, and the church for the hurt they have caused me. This unforgiving usually takes the form of playing the “victim card.” I have known countless Christians that never could get over being hurt or wronged by organizations or the “system.” They failed to live an abundant life and became stalled in their development and bitter because they were always blaming somebody or the system.

Forgiveness is not only for the other person or organization it is for us. We actually are the major beneficiaries of forgiveness. It releases us to move on and assures us that we will be forgiven and shown mercy. It also disarms our enemies and persecutors and glorifies God. Think about this as you ask God to help you root out any unforgivness in your life.