Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

January 11, 2021 at 5:48 am

So far, the author has not directly addressed the issue of forgetting wrong doings or hurts, but when you store up IOUs or dig up past wrongdoings you are not forgetting. You are still bound by it. I believe true forgiveness does involve forgetting, tearing up the IOU and canceling the entire debt. This process definitely takes time and may require repetition.

One of our texts today reveals why I believe this. Luke 6:36 says, “Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.” What do we know about our Father’s mercy/forgiveness? First, it is unmerited, we don’t deserve it. Second, it is unconditional, there is no wrongdoing that can’t be forgiven. Finally, it is everlasting, our sins cast as far away as the east is from the west. God does not keep accounts.

As I write this, I realize that this gets complicated. What about physical abuse or sexual abuse? That can be forgiven, but can it be forgotten in the sense that you continue to have a relationship with the offender? Again, I think the answer can be found in how our Heavenly Father treats our offenses. Jesus died for me before I was born. God forgave me before I was born, but I can only have relationship with Him if I believe and repent, which involves my acknowledgment and confession of my sin and need of redemption. In the same sense, our mercy and forgiveness is freely given, but we don’t have to trust or have relationship with those who have offended us unless they repent of their sin against us. Forgiveness is a given, relationship is not. Does that make any sense?