Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

January 19, 2021 at 6:24 am

The message in today’s lesson is pretty straight forward, garbage in, garbage out. When I reflect on the inputs that my mind is receiving these days it’s scary. I want to stay informed about what’s going on in this world as long as I am in this world, but so much of what we read or hear on TV or the internet is garbage. Some say, just don’t read or watch TV and stay off the internet.

That may be the easiest solution, but I liken that to trying to cross a busy intersection with your eyes closed. When Jesus sent His disciples out into the world he said, “I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves” (Matthew 10:16, NASB). I think we need to filter and weigh everything that enters our minds through God’s Word, with Spiritual Discernment, which comes from the Holy Spirit. Keep what we can use for God’s purposes and throw out the rest.

I think the same thing applies to our self and sin. Paul says, all things are permissible, but not all things are profitable. If we don’t filter our thoughts and actions through the Spirit, we can behave in ways that are destructive. The key is to keep our minds set on the Spirit not on the flesh. Enter by the narrow gate and take the road less traveled.