Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

January 21, 2021 at 6:44 am

I think the key to recognizing idolatry in your life is the word “desire.” What is it that you desire more than God or what is that you desire that you put before God. I think the author is right, “The real idol is the “me god,” who demands to be appeased by feeling secure, in control, or satisfied.” Is it God’s way or my way?

As I reflect on this, I realize that there is really nothing wrong with wanting to be secure, in control, or to enjoy pleasure. It becomes a problem when it comes between me and what God desires. Then it becomes sin. So, when does the desire for security, control, and pleasure come between me and God? For me, it is when I seek security in worldly things; when my desire for control becomes my way or the highway; and when I enjoy life’s pleasures to excess or allow them to control me.

As far as an area of my life that I have not yet surrendered to him is concerned, it depends on what you mean by surrendered. If surrender means that I have acknowledged and confessed areas of my life that need improvement, then I have done that. If it means that I no longer struggle with these areas of idolatry in my life, then I have a long ways to go. But this I know, “He who began a good work among you will complete it by the day of Christ Jesus” (Philippians 1:6). Do you think this is a cop out?