Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

January 28, 2021 at 6:54 am

This is an important reading. The failure to understand that salvation is more than justification has led to a Gospel of conversion rather than a Gospel of discipleship. Salvation is both justification and sanctification, but this can easily be misinterpreted as salvation by works. My understanding of Grace as unmerited favor and as a gift from God means that there can be no requirement of me beyond belief in my heart and profession with my mouth; that He is the Son of God; that He died on the Cross for my sins; and that He was resurrected from the dead (Romans 10:9-11).

However, God’s intention is that your Salvation be more than a ticket to get into heaven. Wesley’s concept of “sanctifying” Grace helps us see that justification is just the beginning. In order to live out our salvation, we must be transformed/sanctified by the Holy Spirit and that requires some effort on our part, but it is still Grace because the Holy Spirit does the real work of transformation in the born again believer. We work out our salvation by practicing the Spiritual Disciplines (Discipleship) and by surrendering and submitting to the Holy Spirit.

Being saved for me is about responding to the Grace that has been given/shown to me. I don’t have to do anything to be saved, but because God’s Spirit is living inside me in community with my spirit I want to be a fully devoted Disciple. If you don’t have that desire to grow and mature it may be because you have never had a saving encounter with Jesus or you have not made Him Lord of your life by surrendering and submitting to the Holy Spirit. If you do, you will be saved and you will bear fruit of the Spirit through both Justifying and Sanctifying Grace. Lord let it be so with me!