Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

January 31, 2021 at 6:31 am

In Rick Warren’s best selling book, “The Purpose Driven Life,” the first sentence is, “it is not about you!” In today’s lesson the author nails it, “We are growing, maturing, and becoming more like Christ for his purposes in the world and the people around us, not for ourselves.” I have found this to be a major obstacle to spiritual maturity for Christ Followers. All you have to do to see this in action is to go to a church meeting. There are two levels of maturity present. There are the ones who are concerned about themselves and their church, their worship service, or the way we have always done things. The spiritually mature are the ones concerned about serving the interests of others and God’s purposes for His Church. They know it is not about them and their preferences.

I struggle more with serving than with thanksgiving. I am so blessed that it is easy to give thanks and I have learned to thank Him regardless of my circumstances or the situation because He has never failed to work it all out for those who love Him and are called according to His purposes (Romans 8:28). I feel I need to serve others more, but I get caught up in the distractions and demands of life. I am learning that service is not just the big things we do or serving on church committees, it’s the little things we do as we go through our daily routines. It’s about praying for those who serve you or that are in need. It is about building relationships with others by showing up and paying attention. It’s about random acts of kindness and generosity. It is about a profound love of God and others. Lord let it be so with me!